marshmallows. Gigi’s girls are determined to make her look bad in front of the boys’ Head Counselor—the sexy but infuriating Perry—and every scrap of the campground is laced with memories.
When Gigi finally realizes she can’t escape the present by returning to her past, she’s forced to reexamine her life and find the true meaning of love. But will she be able to mend fences and forgive herself before she loses her one real shot at happiness?
If you love Sophie Kinsella and Emily Giffin, you'll love this heartwarming debut from a fresh voice in contemporary chick-lit that offers a lighthearted and fun take on friendship, love, and how to recover from past mistakes.
The Campfire Series
1. One S’more Summer—Releases May 30, 2017!
2. S'more to Lose—Coming December 2017!
Purchase Your Copy
Read my Book Review
Release Date: May 30, 2017
Genre: Women's Fiction
One S'more Summer by Beth Merlin is a cute book about summer camp. Readers may initially believe that because it's about summer camp that it is a young adult novel- but it's not! This is an adult (women's fiction) novel about a woman who is running away from her life, back to the place where some of her greatest memories are kept- at camp Chinooka. There is a little bit of summer romance in this book, but because the story doesn't really revolve around this romance and instead, revolves more around the heroine's issues, I would consider it women's fiction. Also, it's a very clean novel with no sex. If you enjoy women's fiction novels or want to conjure up the memories of summer camp then I would recommend this book. If your looking for a clean and lighthearted read that you can also escape to in one afternoon this would be a good fit for you as well. If your purely a romance reader then this may not be the best book for you though. The romantic aspects are unresolved in this novel and kind or/sort of, leaves readers on a cliffy in terms of the relationship. With that, I did enjoy the novel and found it to be really cute.
What I Liked
- The feeling of summer that this book oozes. Honestly, you will feel like you are at summer camp yourself!
- The setting: The setting is quite a unique one especially considering that this is an adult novel. You don't normally read books about summer camp with adults as the lead characters.
- The "hero"- Perry is a British Camp counselor and while very sarcastic, readers can see that he is quite charming,
- The cover: I was initially drawn to this book because of the cover. It's minimal and cute!
- The love triangle: there is a bit of a love triangle (which is a part of the back story) that still affects the heroine in the present. To me it comes off as cheating. If you want to know what I mean, well, you'll have to read it!
- The unresolved ending (although it makes sense because the second book is supposed to resolve some things, I think?
Overall, I found this book to be a cute and lighthearted read. While I could have done without a few parts (the triangle and the ending) I did find myself enjoying the read.
★★★ (3.5 stars) ★★★
type & hit enter
- Kindle Unlimited: 30 day free trial (must have for bookworms)
- Audible: download two free audio-books!